Every year I make a coat. It’s something that I look forward to and I’m always excited when I plan my project. For the longest time, I’ve had this gorgeous vintage Vogue Paris Original (#1023) – 1970s Christian Dior coat in my collection. But I had never been able to find the perfect fabric. I wanted something “fuzzy”, just like the pattern envelope.
And I found fabric that was absolute perfection. This heathered gray fuzzy mohair-blend from Mood Fabrics just epitomized everything I was looking for. And as a plus, it was gray. I am completing all the neutral outerwear colors in my wardrobe and then I’ll start of the fun colors!
This is my first foray into the truly vintage patterns arena. I’ve done “older” patterns, but nothing as old as this one. This pattern came in only one size. And I bought it in a 14. If I were purchasing it now, I would’ve bought a 12. But I’m happy with the sizing because it leaves enough wearing room to wear this coat over a suit if needed.
The only alterations I made to the pattern pieces were adding length… my usual. And I also wanted to make sure this was a full-length coat — on me! I wanted another coat that would be just as long or longer than skirts or dresses. I hate when a coat is slightly shorter. I added 3 inches to the length of the coat. And I added an inch to the sleeve length.
Even though I would normally tailor a coat anyway, I felt so lucky that this pattern is so comprehensive. It came with its own tailoring instructions and pattern pieces for all of the interfacing. How awesome is that?! And why don’t modern coat patterns come with such details? McCall Pattern Company? Simplicity? Anybody? These instructions were so easy to interpret that if you’re attempting your first coat, you could easily achieve amazing results with this one. One thing about the convenience of having all of the pieces included is that it saved me hours on creating interfacing pattern pieces from scratch. I felt like I was getting a coat making course just from the instructions.
For my coat, I blocked interfaced the entire yardage before cutting. Even though this fabric is of a heavier weight, it’s still very drapey. And I needed for the body to be sturdier. I found that a size 100/16 needle worked best for this fabric and sewing through all of the layers. And it also made topstitching a lot easier with my heavy weight thread.
My lining fabric is crepe back satin from my stash that looks and feels really luxurious.
I thought I was head over heels in love with my camel hair coat from last year. But I believe I have a new love… until next time!