Guys! I love this dress. I feel like I need a wedding to wear it to now or something.
The fabric is this cream satin from Mood Fabrics and I loved working with it. It seems to be pretty high quality but it was really affordable too, so that made me happy.
Two tips for working with it though: #1 use glass head pins instead of plastic ones. This fabric isn’t very forgiving and leaves holes left by thicker pins. #2, if you’re going to be gathering at all, use quilting thread. I had issues with the thread breaking on my gathering stitches due to the thickness of the fabric. Editor’s note: When you’re working with satins like this one, take care to pin only in the seam allowances where it won’t show, as pin holes leave marks. I use a waxed silk thread when I need a heavy-duty thread for basting or gathering.
Pattern-wise, I decided on Simplicity 5954 (out of print) after knowing I wanted a scooped back and then seeing this version on Lara’s blog, Dreamingofavonlea. I loved how she changed the zipper closure to a button closure too so I decided to do mine like that as well. Thanks for the cute idea Lara!
Then I used the front bodice from New Look 6723 because I wanted a higher neckline to balance out the low back. I also added cap sleeves.
Oh and I cut off 15+ inches from the original skirt pattern. 15 inches!! Guys that’s like a mini person. They certainly didn’t mess around in the 60s, that’s for sure. This actually turned out to be a real pain because I of course didn’t realize that the skirt wasn’t going to work until after the fact.. as in I had finished the hem and everything. Ugh, so that was fun to go back and unpick.
Here’s the inspiration pic. Cute, except it was $295 dollars. No I’m not kidding, J.Crew will be the death of me, I swear.