It is no surprise that it is too cold to breathe outside. This year is no different from any other year. We can count on single digits with sub-zero windchill temperatures in January.
I am so happy that I finally made my Chocolate/Black Faux Fur coat. It’s super warm and cozy, perfect for the breathtaking arctic winds that have found their way back our fair town. This soft faux fur has been sitting waiting for me for over a year. I must admit, I was a little apprehensive about making my coat. Because I wanted it to be just right.
The wait was worth it. My coat is just right for me: the fit, color and style. Faux fur coats and denim are on trend. So that how I’m wearing my new coat today. See more trend styles on my blog, here.
The pattern that I selected is from Burda Style Magazine, October 2008, View 101. Burda’s descriptions are just as sparse as the construction details. The high collar is perfect for my long neck. The overall silhouette is a-line with the hem hitting just above my knee. The no fuss raglan, bell 3/4 length sleeves makes sewing them super easy.
The sizes are 36(4/6) to 44(14). I used 14 with modifications. My coat looks similar to the photo in the magazine with the exception of the thickness of the faux fur.
Let’s not talk about the instructions. I decided not to follow them. So I just used some basic construction techniques that I’ve learned over the years.
Some tips to consider if you plan to sew this coat:
- Adjust stitch length to 3mm when sewing the faux fur
- Used a jersey machine needle, size 14
- Because of the backing of the faux fur, I decided to interface the entire coat with Pellon apparel interfacing – SF101 black shape flex fusible. Be careful not to crush the pile.
- I did not heat press any of the faux fur seams. I just finger pressed them.
- Used a crepe back satin for the lining.
- The same pattern pieces are used for the lining. Be sure to trim the lining accordingly to properly fit/join front facing and the neck facing.
- For me, the pockets are a little high and too small. You may want to test the replacement before sewing them.
- Make sure you pick the fur out of the seams so there is no interruption in the fur.
- FBA. I know you are probably thinking why. I think I needed one. My first placement of the dart was too low. So I moved it up about an inch and curved it a bit.
- Broad shoulder adjustment on the back coat and back sleeve.
- Added two inches to the length of the coat
- Added a few inches to the length of the sleeves, but used the added length to create a deep hem.
I may or may not make this coat again. With Burda I would probably lean towards making it again for all the work involved with tracing the pattern. The style of the coat is exactly what I wanted. That is my “like”. My dislikes are: tracing the darn Burda pattern and the lack of construction guidance given in the magazine.
Overall, my coat turn out very well if I might add. I did notice some incorrect placement of a few of the snaps. That’s an easy fix, which I will correct immediately.
That is all for now.