I have been wanting a pair of linen overalls for summer and decided it was time to get those made and have all summer to wear them. I found the perfect fabric, Mood Fabrics’ Celadon Linen and Rayon Woven, the color is gorgeous and the fabric has a wonderful feel and drape. I am sorry to say this color is sold out but there are several other colors available, maybe I should get another one and make more overalls, I love these so much. From the Mood site about this fabric, The combination of linen and rayon provide a softer hand with a bit more radiance than a standalone linen
The pattern I selected was McCall’s 7547, one for pants or overalls and it is a fabulous pattern. I did do some research to see what changes I needed to make. Research being searching the hashtag on Instagram and looking at Pattern Review.
My changes, added to the shoulder straps. The other change was to straighten out the waist, I don’t have much of one and knew it would be too tight. This was a good change, it was about 1/2″ but a very good 1/2″! The last change I have discovered I needed for pants is to lengthen the front crotch. This adjustment is adding about 1/4″ to the front inseam and what a difference this makes.
I went through labels I had and found a cute pocket one, it went just right with the summer theme. I like the touch of navy and the hibiscus on the back pocket.
During my high school days, dark denim farmer style overalls were quite trendy or at least in my area. Dark denim with white topstitching, I loved wearing those! This farmer style was loose and comfy, by contrast these overalls are very fitted. The most fitted part is at the waistline. After looking at the pattern, this is totally understandable, the pattern is for pants also. If you want a looser look, you will need to add a couple of inches to the waistband.
I did tack the ends of the shoulder straps back to themselves, I didn’t want the extra fabric to dangle.
The overalls have quite a bit of topstitching and I love to add this detail, it just takes your garment to the next level. I did add topstitching to the waistband also. The waistband is interfaced and I did add more interfacing to the areas with the snap. This photo shows the snap and the side zipper, which works nicely with the lighter fabric. I would like to add snaps to each side but the fabric needs to be heavier for snaps.
I am thrilled with my overalls and after the fitting of these overalls, I am anxious to try the pants and maybe more overalls.