After seeing Episode 5 of Being Mary Jane, I was determined to find a vibrant green fabric to make a similar dress. I searched the Mood online fabric store to see if there was something close to the color. The first few searches turned up nothing I really liked. Then in early March, Mood posted new arrivals to their store. There was a huge selection of green textiles for the choosing. I was one happy sewist.
So with my Mood allowance, I selected Ralph Lauren’s Vibrant Green Viscose Matte Jersey. Seriously it’s a great fabric. The recovery is excellent; the color is rich; and it is easy to sew. And perfect for my inspiration dress. While Mary Jane’s dress was a sexy sleeveless little number, Vogue 8921 was good for me. I wanted a similar silhouette with modest and long sleeves (still chilly in Chicago). This pattern has been on my list for a while. After seeing Erica Bunker’s version, I was sold on making this dress.
Vogue describes this dress pattern as: Misses’ Dress – dress has fitted bodice with waist and front shoulder pleats, back zipper: Necklines, drape B, sleeves B, C: Narrow hem. The sizing listed is 6 through 22. I used size 14 with modifications.
For the most part my dress looked like the pattern and had a similar silhouette as the inspiration dress. The instructions appeared to be very easy, but I did not read them. The construction techniques were similar to other patterns that I have sewn in the past. I did notice that stitching two or three rows was recommended instead of serging the edges. I never do that, and I always manage to forget to say that in my reviews. View C calls for 2 3/4 yards. I ordered 4 yards and had less than a foot left. Maybe it’s because I lengthen the sleeves and skirt. But to me the yardage seems a little off. I recommend you get a little more to be on the safe side, especially if you are tall like me.
I’ve had the pattern a while. But I am just getting around to it. I like:
- pleating at the shoulder and waist
- “V” neck – great for my body type.
I did make a few alterations. As usual: a FBA (only half of what I normally make and similar to the FBA done for V8825.); prominent shoulder blade adjustment (shoulder darts); sway back adjustment; and added 4″ to the length of the skirt and 1 1/2″ to the length of the sleeves I wanted them to fall on my hands.
I don’t know if I will sew the pattern again. I made this dress for the Annual Pastor’s Banquet. This is a nice dress that an immediate beginner should be able to sew with no problem.
I’m really pleased with the outcome of this dress.