This post is all about new, a new way I decided what to sew and a new style for me. I saw McCall’s 6885 featured on an Instagram feed along with a famous designer
in a very similar dress. Right when I saw that photo, I knew I had to make this dress.
Now this is the first new for me, usually I have the fabric and I look through my patterns to see what to make. This time I was in search of fabric and of course, Mood had just the right fabric, a Mood Fabrics’ chambray year-round cotton flannel. I should clarify this, I use to always have the pattern first and then find the fabric to make the garment. Over the last few years, I find it easier to acquire fabric and then find a suitable pattern. Thanks to Mood Fabrics’ great selection, I always find fabulous fabric.
This fabric was perfect – the chambray look but so soft with the perfect drape for this style of pattern. This is important with this style of dress, I sure didn’t want the fabric to be stiff and add fullness to this style. Now that is the second new for me, I usually don’t do shirt dresses or a looser dress but this one just really appealed to me.
I made a few changes, mainly the length of the dress, just look at the side of the shirttail hem. I added 1-1/2″ to the length of the dress, thank goodness or my side hem might be way too short! I also added 1″ to the sleeve length, which made the sleeves the perfect length. This length is probably irrelevant as I don’t think I will ever wear the sleeves rolled down, the sleeve tabs are just a great feature.
This fabric is thin so I have a slip on with this dress for modesty sake. With the weight of the fabric in mind, I used interfacing on both sides of the collar and undercollar, a tricot knit interfacing to be specific. I am pleased with this decision, the two layers gave the collar some substance. I also cut the undercollar in two pieces on the bias.
I started sewing on this dress Sunday and guess what? I didn’t have enough thread to construct and topstitch. Anyone else have that happen? A show of hands, please! My solution, to use a gray to construct and the perfect match thread for topstitching and buttonholes. I ran out of thread when sewing on the last button. If I had more thread I would of added 2 more buttons and buttonholes, which I will do after a thread purchase. And I really need another button for the bust pull, too. Photographs tell us so much about our projects.
This dress is just so fun to wear and I know I will wear it with a belt most of the time but without the belt is just so easy and fun. I did put a red cardigan on with the dress and loved the look but none of my pictures were in focus. You will just have to take my word!
I am so happy I tried a new look for me.