I’ve been seeing this style of dress for a few years now and found myself consistently saving and pinning the images. So, I knew I had to eventually create my own version. Last year, I started self-drafting my own versions of the tie-front bodice and by this season, all of the pattern companies had jumped on the bandwagon with their versions. So, the possibilities and the pattern pieces were endless!
My inspiration is the Reformation Frankfurt Dress.
For my dress, I knew I would have to pattern-hack to get the style that I wanted. I used McCall’s 7789 for the bodice and the midriff and New Look 6346 for the skirt. My fabric is this beautiful and crisp Black/Multicolored Striped Floral Cotton Poplin that’s perfect for summer and such a fun style dress.
I cut the front of the bodice on the cross grain because I wanted the stripes to flow horizontally. The bodice is self-lined. I knew I’d need to adjust the bodice for a proper fit, for coverage and to insure I wouldn’t slip out of the bottom. I made a one inch FBA.
This is what my FBA looks like.
For the back of the bodice and the midriff, I reduce the seam allowance by 5/8″ and cut the back pieces on the fold to eliminate the back zipper. Unlike the inspiration dress, my midriff has functioning buttons and buttonholes.
I added two inches to the center front of the midriff piece, so that it would match the skirt opening.
The skirt was almost perfect right out of the envelope for a perfect midi-length… with the exception of the back.
Fuller style skirts tend to hike up in the back on me. So, I made 1.5″ full butt adjustment.
This adjustment makes all the difference.
I love this dress, and I’m so glad I was able to get this one out of my system before the end of summer.