Save the Silk!
Shame, Shame, Shame!
The only thing that saved my latest from being a wadder is the beautiful crepe de chine from Mood Fabrics.
It’s all I can do to smile.
It’s time for my perfect tunic pattern search to go on a break. I outsmarted myself by combining pattern pieces from my favorite tunic patterns, including Butterick 4856 Simplicity 4149 and Simplicity 1461.
I liked the bodice of Butterick 4856, the two-piece back of Simplicity 1461 and the placket of Simplicity 4149. After coordinating the measurements from the different patterns I assumed all was safe but I met near disaster at almost every juncture 🙁
Saving the silk was the only reason to keep going.
The navy trim is an ivory silk twill ordered from Mood over 18 months ago. I died it with Navy Rit Dye.
I won’t dwell on what went wrong since it was everything, but I managed to struggle though the issues until I completed a tunic.
I share my near disastrous project with readers because when I started sewing again, I vowed to always complete my projects. I’m glad I did as a reminder not to do this again. Also, the top turned out better than I expected and I will wear it.
Searching for the perfect tunic in fit and design has led me to the conclusion that I need to learn to design patterns, and I have just ordered a new Craftsy Course, Patternmaking Basics: The Bodice Sloper with Suzy Furrer. I look forward to sharing what I learn with you.
More soon 🙂