Navy Knit Dress!
Lilly Pulitzer introduced a fabulous collection of navy dresses this season, and I wanted one too.
The Lilly dresses are available in every fabric imaginable bringing about many possibilities. My decision was based on the piece of Theory Navy Cotton Rib Knit I ordered from Mood Fabrics in March. (Now sold out but I highly recommend the navy stretch pique.)
Since this is at least the 40th tunic I’ve made during the last two years, I was interested in trying something different. I selected the wide-split placket and angled collar variation which I’ve only sewn with wovens, but the knit fabric accommodated the structured details of the pattern variation beautifully!
The Theory Knit is a heavier knit making it necessary to eliminate potential bulkiness in the collar and armscyes. To do this I sewed the under collar and seam bindings in Navy Silk Crepe de Chine from Mood.
The under collar was interfaced with Pellon EK130 Easy-Knit, a fusible knit interfacing and supple stabilizer, and the seam bindings were cut on the bias and starched.
I applied the trim (from my stash but Mood is loaded with great trims!) with Gunold KK100, a temporary adhesive spray before attaching it to the tunic with a zigzag stitch. The stitch practically disappears due to the texture of both the fabric and the trim.
Sewing this pattern with a knit generally results in a more relaxed fit,
and eliminates the need for back darts.
The gold trim dresses up the tunic but Lilly also trims this same style in white for a fresh casual look (this Oscar de la Renta lace from Mood being one of my favorites for a great summer look.)
As always, a huge thank you to Mood Fabrics for allowing me to experiment with quality fabrics and learn something new each and every time. Rib knit and metallic trim ~ a winner in my books!