DVF Lace, Part II
As promised, I’m back with the remainder of the DVF Cotton Lace project.
Some people are born to sew couture. It relaxes them they say…… I get that, but before undertaking a couture garment, I always take a deep breath and try to prepare myself for the time commitment couture sewing requires. To date, I have underestimated the time commitment of every project.
But now it’s time to celebrate!
As mentioned in my last Mood Sewing Network post, I ordered the lilac DVF cotton lace from Mood Fabrics last Spring, envisioning a two-piece dress for my daughter’s Bridesmaids’ luncheon. The dress missed the luncheon by eight months, but a whole new wedding season awaits!
Just like the skirt blogged here, the top consists of four layers of fabric which include the heavy cotton lace, oxford cloth, silk organza and Bemberg rayon lining. The DVF lace is no longer available at Mood, but a heavy lace such as this guipure lace would sew similarly. Some readers questioned the weight of oxford cloth as an underlining. It worked out great for the skirt but I sought advice from friends with lots of couture sewing experience before proceeding with the vintage McCall’s 8500 pattern.
I considered a princess seam top because I feared the pattern’s eight darts would be bulky with the layering. Splitting the two bust darts and catch-stitching the waist and back darts to the organza easily solved the problem. I eliminated two of the top back (shoulder) darts, replacing them with dead darts which made for a smoother back.
The zipper is concealed in the side seam.
It took several alterations to achieve the fit I wanted. All sewing techniques and alterations will be discussed on the blog tomorrow, but today I want to relish in the fruits of my labor!
While I took many steps to prepare the lace for sewing, the fabric sews very easily. Many thanks to Mood for offering such great fabrics!
What a difference a top makes to a skirt!
……and alone no more 😉
Until Soon 🙂