Brown Wool Crepe Jacket
This jacket is part of my City in Winter Collection. I’ve been working on and sewing this wardrobe since last October. The purpose of this exercise was to create a versatile wardrobe that I could use for any part of my busy life —work, dates out with friends and church. I’ve finished quite a few pieces (I’ve already shared the bottoms here) but I was dragging my feet making the jacket.
The jacket is from Vogue 8208 which is an out-of-print pattern that has been reviewed several times on Pattern Review…and now I know why there are only four reviews for it! This jacket is a very involved sew with a lot of pieces! I also decided to line an unlined jacket which added quite a bit of time to the jacket’s construction.
I liked this pattern (notice I used the past tense here!) because the military influence was big for Fall 2012. I thought this pattern encapsulated that trend well and it was already in my pattern collection. It also worked with my basic bottoms and I knew it would wear well in the brown wool crepe that I’d chosen as the base fabric for the wardrobe. [Editor's note: Carolyn usually buys her Mood fabric from the NYC store, but here's a very similar brown wool crepe you can buy online at MoodFabrics.com.]
I did omit a few things, there is only one breast pocket without a flap. I thought that all of those flaps were a little too much for my body. The pattern calls for you to cut the back pattern piece on the fold. I added a center back seam to get a better fit. I also shortened the length of the cuffs, they are pretty long, if you follow the pattern pieces. Not only did I add a lining but I also underlined the jacket in silk organza to enhance it’s wearability factor.
All of that work and honestly, I hate this jacket. Not because it doesn’t look good on me, or that it doesn’t work with the bottoms, but because it’s construction was difficult…too difficult! There was no joy in sewing it. I don’t even know if I would have finished it, if it hadn’t been a Mood Project. I’m sure you’re asking why since from the pics it looks decent. Well, I removed the pockets 4x! Seriously 4x! I measured and remeasured them before BASTING them to the jacket front several times. Even with all of that, they still had to come off again and again until I was in tears and wanted to throw the dayum thing in the garbage.
Usually it’s fit that ruins a pattern for me. This time it was the actual pattern and the degree of difficulty in achieving perfection. Now I’m not a perfect sewist but I don’t want my garments looking Becky Homecky and if I hadn’t gotten the pockets right, it would have. So enjoy the pretty pictures. I’ve worn this to work and now I will bury it deep in the back of my closet until I’m no longer scarred by the trauma of making it!
BTW, all of these pics were taken in a conference room at my job because it is just too danged cold here on the East Coast to even think about standing outside and trying to pose…
…as always more later!