A Casual Bug
Well, I guess that settles it, I’m on a separates kick.
I had a lightbulb moment while making a top for my last pair of jeans (because it seems I can’t make a pair of Birkin flares without something to go with it–like a Liberty of London blouse). There’s a whole new learning curve for separates. I can get behind throwing all manner of yardage at my fancy dresses, including stuff meant for a casual t-shirt, but I’m finding the same isn’t so easily done with casual wear. Just ask my bag of February UFOs.
And proportion! I gotta learn proportion for separates! This little crop top is almost right, it hits where I want for the waist of the skirt, but I think the width of the gathering at the waistband is a bit much. I could maybe taper the side seam a bit, if I have the strength to get into this terry again.
Y’all, the color and feel of this neon coral french terry is magnificent, and the price is right at 10/yd, but do not fall in love with it unless you’re okay with a few pulls and snags. I used the smooth side for the main body, and the loopy terry side for cuffs and bands. A breath of air will catch a teeny loop on this! I’m thinking of it as an easy way to get a deconstructed look, because the rayon/poly blend really does feel delicious against the skin, and I want it in a full length slinky dress ever so badly…
As for the skirt, I went with cotton sateen, although I’m pretty sure at this point in my sewing career: I do not like cotton sateen. I’d rather work with a loosely woven metallic boucle that frays on me by the second than this most-easiest-to-sew cotton! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?! It does, however, make for a good clean skirt. (I may have come to loathe cotton sateen when I decided to use 8 yards of it for a strapless maxi dress. There’s an excellent example of wrong fabric/pattern combo! If you like a workout when you go out, don a strapless cotton sateen maxi dress.)
You can’t tell by lookin’, though. I do appear to be pretty happy with this combo! I think that separates are like taking medicine for me: I wince through the whole thing, but in the end I feel better about my closet. And I was deliberate about the technique on this jammie: instead of a waistband, I used a wide petersham ribbon, steam curving it on one side and attaching it as a facing. Makes a really clean finish, and though I’ve done it before, this is the first time I’m pleased with it! It sits nicely and doesn’t ride up.
That’s all she wrote on this one. I’d like to tell you I’ll be back next month with a brocade space alien dress, but who knows how long this separates sickness will last!
Patterns used: McCalls 7217 (vintage, neckline changed) and Simplicity 1803 (skirt portion only, changed gathered waist to pleats)